Treatment of Acute Lymphoid Leukemia Refractory to Classic First-Line and Rescue Protocols
Acute Lymphoblastic Leukemia is a very aggressive malignant disorder of lymphoid cells in adults, with recurrence (30 to 60% of the cases) after the initial treatment. Until this moment, there is no gold standard therapy for the treatment of adult patients with acute relapsed/refractory lymphoblastic leukemia. In this case report, we describe two cases of relapsed leukemia: one of lymphocytic leukemia B and one of trilineage leukemia, which presented a satisfactory response to treatment with Bortezomib associated with Vincristine, Dexamethasone, and Bendamustine.
2. Fielding AK, Richards SM, Chopra R, et al. Outcome of 609 adults after relapse of acute lymphoblastic leukemia (ALL); an MRC UKALL12/ECOG 2993 study. Blood. 2007; 109 (3):944-50.
3. Frey NV, Luger SM. How I treat adults with relapsed or refractory Philadelphia chromosome–negative acute lymphoblastic leukemia. Blood. 2015; 126(5):589-96.
4. Messinger YH, Gaynon PS, Sposto R, et al. Bortezomib with chemotherapy is highly active in advanced B-precursor acute lymphoblastic leukemia: Therapeutic Advances in Childhood Leukemia & Lymphoma (TACL) Study. Blood. 2012; 120(2): 285-290.
5. Dewar R, Chen ST, Yeckes-Rodin H, et al. Bortezomib treatment causes remission in a Ph+ALL patient and reveals FoxO as a theranostic marker. Cancer Biol Ther. 2011; 11(6): 552–558.
6. Hu X, Xu J, Sun A, et al. Successful T-cell acute lymphoblastic leukemia treatment with proteasome inhibitor bortezomib based on evaluation of nuclear factor-κB activity. Leuk Lymphoma. 2011; 52(12):2393-5.
7. Zhao J, Wang C, Song Y, et al. Treatment of refractory/relapsed adult acute lymphoblastic leukemia with bortezomib-based chemotherapy. Int J Gen Med. 2015; 8:211-4.
8. Fraser C, Brown P, Megason G, et al. Open-label bendamustine monotherapy for pediatric patients with relapsed or refractory acute leukemia: efficacy and tolerability. J Pediatr Hematol Oncol. 2014; 36(4):e212-8.
9. Kantarjian H, Stein A, Gökbuget N, et al. Blinatumomab versus Chemotherapy for Advanced Acute Lymphoblastic Leukemia. N Engl J Med. 2017; 376: 836-847.
10. Gökbuget N, Dombret H, Bonifacio M, et al. Blinatumomab for minimal residual disease in adults with B-cell precursor acute lymphoblastic leukemia. Blood. 2018; 131(14):1522-31.
11. Davila ML, Riviere I, Wang X, et al. Efficacy and toxicity management of 19-28z CAR T cell therapy in B cell acute lymphoblastic leukemia. Sci Transl Med. 2014; 6(224):224ra25.
12. Maude SL, Frey N, Shaw PA, et al. Chimeric antigen receptor T cells for sustained remissions in leukemia. N Engl J Med. 2014; 371:1507-1517.
13. Lee DW, Kochenderfer JN, Stetler-Stevenson M, et al. T cells expressing CD19 chimeric antigen receptors for acute lymphoblastic leukaemia in children and young adults: a phase 1 dose-escalation trial. Lancet. 2015; 385(9967).517-528.
14. Maude SL, Teachey DT, Porter DL, et al. CD19-targeted chimeric antigen receptor T-cell therapy for acute lymphoblastic leukemia. Blood. 2015; 125(26).4017-23.