A Case of Systemic Lupus Erythematosus Presenting as Pure Red Cell Aplasia
Pure red cell aplasia (PRCA) is an uncommon condition, which is rarely associated with Systemic Lupus Erythematosus (SLE). Prompt identification and management of the underlying SLE results in the correction of anemia. We report the case of a young female who presented due to severe anemia for the last two years. The cause of her anemia on initial investigations was not elicited in these two years, during which response to hematinics was poor and she remained transfusion dependent. Bone marrow biopsy showed PRCA after which autoimmune workup revealed SLE. Subsequently, treatment of SLE with steroids led to normalization of hemoglobin levels within a follow-up period of three months.
2. Atzeni F, Sarzi-Puttini P, Capsoni F, et al. Successful treatment of pure red cell aplasia in systemic lupus erythematosus with cyclosporin A. Rheumatology (Oxford) . 2000; 39(10):1155-7.
3. Chalayer E, Costedoat-Chalumeau N, Beyne-Rauzy O, et al. Bone marrow involvement in systemic lupus erythematosus. QJM. 2017; 110(11):701-711.
4. Balasubramanian SK, Sadaps M, Thota S, et al. Rational management approach to pure red cell aplasia. Haematologica. 2018; 103(2):221-30.
5. Fayyaz A, Igoe A, Kurien BT, et al. Haematological manifestations of lupus. Lupus Sci Med. 2015; 2(1):e000078.
6. Velo-Garcia A, Castro SG, Isenberg DA. The diagnosis and management of the haematologic manifestations of lupus. J Autoimmun. 2016; 74: 139-160.
7. Giannouli S, Voulgarelis M, Ziakas PD, et al. Anaemia in systemic lupus erythematosus: from pathophysiology to clinical assessment. Ann Rheum Dis. 2006; 65(2):144-8.
8. Shao X, Wei W, Zhao Y, et al. Acquired pure red cell aplasia in a patient with ankylosing spondylitis-a case report and literature review. Medicine (Baltimore). 2019; 98(27):e16160.
9. Linardaki, KA Boki, AFertakis, et al. Pure Red Cell Aplasia as Presentation of Systemic Lupus Erythematosus: Antibodies to Erythropoietin. Scand J Rheumatic.1999; 28(3):189-91.
10. Arcasoy MO, Chao NJ. T‐cell‐mediated pure red‐cell aplasia in systemic lupus erythematosus: Response to cyclosporin A and mycophenolatemofetil. Am J Hematol. 2005; 78(2):161-3.
11. Ideguchi H, Ohno S, Ishigatsubo Y. A case of pure red cell aplasia and systemic lupus erythematosus caused by human parvovirus B19 infection. Rheumatol Int. 2007; 27(4):411-4.
12. Habib GS, Saliba WR, Froom P. Pure red cell aplasia and lupus. Semin Arthritis Rheum. 2002; 31(4):279-83.
13. Serris A, Amoura Z, Canouï‐Poitrine F, et al. Efficacy and safety of rituximab for systemic lupus erythematosus‐associated immune cytopenias: A multicenter retrospective cohort study of 71 adults. Am J Hematol. 2018; 93(3):424-429.
|Issue||Vol 15 No 2 (2021)|
|Pure red cell aplasia; Systemic lupus erythematosus; Diagnosis; Anemia|
|Rights and permissions|
|This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial 4.0 International License.|