Clinical and Pathological Features of Double-Hit and Triple-Hit High-Grade B-Cell Lymphomas: A Retrospective Study from Three Portuguese Tertiary Centers
Background: High-grade B-cell lymphoma (HGBL) with rearrangements of MYC and BCL2 and/or BCL6, called double and triple-hit lymphomas (DTH-HGBL), are lymphoid malignancies with inferior outcomes when treated with standard chemotherapy. The identification of DTH-HGBL cases is challenging, considering their variable clinical, morphologic, and immunohistochemical features.
Materials and Methods: Retrospective revision of medical data of patients diagnosed with DTH-HGBL confirmed by FISH, between January 2010 and January 2020, in three Tertiary Portuguese Hospitals (Coimbra Hospital and University Center, Portuguese Oncology Institute – Coimbra and Portuguese Oncology Institute – Porto). Pathological features, morphology, and immunohistochemical profile were evaluated by at least two experienced pathologists in hematopoietic and lymphoid neoplasms.
Results: The cohort included 24 patients: 33.3% triple-hit, 58.3%, MYC/BCL2 double-hit and 8.3% MYC/BCL6 double-hit. There was no gender predominance, with a median age of 62.5±14.3y, 33.3% were diagnosed as nodal disease and 66.7% as extranodal.
Morphologic features of DLBCL were present in 50% of cases, morphological features of both DLBCL and Burkitt lymphoma (DLBCL/BL) in 45.8% and 4.2% of blastoid morphology.
Immunohistochemical evaluation, regarding the Hans algorithm, revealed a Germinal center (GC)/GC-like subtype in 83.3% of cases and a non-GC/non-GC-like subtype in 16.7%. MYC was positive in 42.9% and the median proliferative index was 80±12.4%.
Conclusion: DTH-HGBL has a very broad range of features. We consider that a cost-effective approach would be to perform cytogenetic analysis in DLBCL and DLBCL/BL cases with GC/GC-like subtype. MYC and BCL2 immunohistochemistry can be useful to identify patients who may benefit from more aggressive therapies, but not as tools for case selection for FISH.
2. Rosenthal A, Younes A. High grade B-cell lymphoma with rearrangements of MYC and BCL2 and/or BCL6: Double hit and triple hit lymphomas and double expressing lymphoma. Blood Rev. 2017;31(2):37–42.
3. Kim H, Kim HJ, Kim SH. Diagnostic Approach for Double-Hit and Triple-Hit Lymphoma Based on Immunophenotypic and Cytogenetic Characteristics of Bone Marrow Specimens. Ann Lab Med. 2020;40(5):361–9.
4. MYC MYC proto-oncogene, bHLH transcription factor [ Homo sapiens (human) ] 2020 Apr 28]. Available from: https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/gene/4609
5. Nguyen L, Papenhausen P, Shao H. The Role of c-MYC in B-Cell Lymphomas: Diagnostic and molecular aspects. Genes (Basel). 2017;8(4):116.
6. BCL2 BCL2 apoptosis regulator [ Homo sapiens (human) ] [Internet]. [cited 2020 Apr 28]. Available from: https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/gene/596
7. Davids MS. Perspective Targeting BCL-2 in B-cell lymphomas. Blood. 2017;130(9):1081–8.
8. BCL6 BCL6 transcription repressor [ Homo sapiens (human) ] [Internet]. [cited 2020 Apr 28]. Available from: https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/gene/604
9. Basso K, Dalla-Favera R. Roles of BCL6 in normal and transformed germinal center B cells. Immunol Rev. 2012;247(1):172–83.
10. Ziemba JB, Wolf Z, Weinstock M, et al. Double-Hit and Triple-Hit Follicular Lymphoma. Am J Clin Pathol 2020;153(5):672–85.
11. Gauwerky CE, Haluska FG, Tsujimoto Y, et al. Evolution of B-cell malignancy: Pre-B-cell leukemia resulting from MYC activation in a B-cell neoplasm with a rearranged BCL2 gene. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 1988;85(22):8548–52.
12. Pedersen MØ, Gang AO, Poulsen TS, et al. Double-hit BCL2/MYC translocations in a consecutive cohort of patients with large B-cell lymphoma - a single centre’s experience. Eur J Haematol. 2012;89(1):63–71.
13. Aukema SM, Siebert R, Schuuring E, et al. Double-hit B-cell lymphomas. Blood. 2011;117(8):2319–31.
14. Annunziata J, Balog A, Tang B. 183 Triple-Hit B-Cell Lymphoma: Case Report of an Elderly Patient Achieving Complete Remission. Am J Clin Pathol. 2018;149(suppl_1):S78.
15. Huang W, Medeiros LJ, Lin P, et al. MYC/BCL2/BCL6 triple hit lymphoma: a study of 40 patients with a comparison to MYC/BCL2 and MYC/BCL6 double hit lymphomas. Mod Pathol. 2018;31(9):1470–8.
16. Aukema SM, Kreuz M, Kohler CW, et al. Biological characterization of adult MYC-translocation-positive mature B-cell lymphomas other than molecular Burkitt lymphoma. Haematologica. 2014;99(4):726–35.
17. Scott DW, King RL, Staiger AM, et al. High-grade B-cell lymphoma with MYC and BCL2 and/or BCL6 rearrangements with diffuse large B-cell lymphoma morphology. Blood. 2018;131(18):2060–4.
18. Hans CP, Weisenburger DD, Greiner TC, et al. Confirmation of the molecular classification of diffuse large B-cell lymphoma by immunohistochemistry using a tissue microarray. Blood. 2004;103(1):275–82.
19. Nwanze J, Siddiqui MT, Stevens KA, et al. MYC immunohistochemistry predicts MYC rearrangements by FISH. Front Oncol. 2017;7:209.
20. Li S, Lin P, Young KH, et al. MYC / BCL2 Double-Hit High-Grade B-Cell Lymphoma. Adv Anat Pathol. 2013;20(5):315-26.
21. Scott DW, Mottok A, Ennishi D, et al. Prognostic significance of diffuse large B-cell lymphoma cell of origin determined by digital gene expression in formalin-fixed paraffin-embedded tissue biopsies. J Clin Oncol. 2015;33(26):2848–56.
22. Sesques P, Johnson NA. Approach to the diagnosis and treatment of high-grade B-cell lymphomas with MYC and BCL2 and/or BCL6 rearrangements. Blood. 2017;129(3):280–8.
23. Naseem M, Asif M, Khadim MT, et al. The Frequency of Double Expresser in Selected Cases of High Grade Diffuse Large B-Cell Lymphomas. Asian Pac J Cancer Prev. 2020;21(4):1103-1107
24. A clinical evaluation of the International Lymphoma Study Group classification of non-Hodgkin’s lymphoma. The Non-Hodgkin’s Lymphoma Classification Project. Blood. 1997;89(11):3909–18.
25. Mationg-Kalaw E, Tan LHC, Tay K, et al. Does the proliferation fraction help identify mature B cell lymphomas with double- and triple-hit translocations? Histopathology. 2012;61(6):1214–8.
26. Crombie JL, Armand P. Diffuse Large B-Cell Lymphoma and High-Grade B-Cell Lymphoma: Genetic Classification and Its Implications for Prognosis and Treatment. Surg Oncol Clin N Am. 2020;29(1):115–25.
27. Li S, Huang W, Oki Y, et al. MYC/BCL2/BCL6 triple hit lymphoma: A study of 33 patients who had an aggressive clinical course similar to patients with double hit lymphomas. J Clin Oncol. 2017;35(15_suppl):7559–7559.
|Issue||Vol 16, No 2 (2022)|
|High-grade; B-cell; Lymphoma; Cytogenetics; Immunohistochemistry; Double-hit; Triple-hit|
|Rights and permissions|
|This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial 4.0 International License.|