Myeloid Sarcoma of the peritoneum at older ages: A case report and review of literature
Myeloid sarcoma or granulocytic sarcoma (GS) is a rare disease with poor prognosis. It is characterized by the occurrence of tumor masses at an extra-medullary tissue. It is composed of myeloblastic cells and usually occurs in association with acute myeloid leukemia. Because of its nonspecific clinical and radiologic findings, its diagnosis might be challenging. It might be more commonly found in patients with specific cytogenetic abnormalities, particularly with the t (8; 21) translocation and less frequently the inv (16) type. We report a case of GS in a 62 years old man without particular previous pathologies, which brutally presented as an ascites and generalized edema. The laparoscopy showed involvement of greater omentum and peritoneum. The histologic examination of greater omentum showed granulocytic sarcoma. The bone marrow aspiration was normal. We started treatment of patient by standard acute myeloid leukemia's chemotherapy.
- Rappaport H (1967). " Tumors of the hematopoietic system". Atlas of Tumor Pathology, Section III, Fascicle 8. Washington DC: Armed Forces Institute of Pathology. pp. 241–7.
- Byrd JC, Edenfield WJ, Shields DJ, Dawson NA (July 1995). "Extramedullary myeloid cell tumors in acute nonlymphocytic leukemia: a clinical review". J. Clin. Oncol. 13 (7): 1800–16.
- Baer MR. Management of unusual presentations of acute leukemia. Hematol/Oncol Clin North Am 1993; 7: 275–292.
- Wiernik PH. Extramedullary manifestations of adult leukemia. Am Cancer Society atlas of clinical oncology adult leukemias. London: BC Decker, 2001: 275–305.
- Pileri SA, Ascani S, Cox MC, et al. Myeloid sarcoma: clinico-pathologic, phenotypic and cytogenetic analysis of 92 adult patients. Leukemia 2007; 21: 340–350
- Chang CC, Eshoa C, Kampalath B, et al Immunophenotypic profile of myeloid cells in granulocytic sarcoma by immunohistochemistry. Correlation with blast differentiation in bone marrow. Am J Clin Pathol 2000; 114:807-811
- Brugo EA, Marshall RB, Riberi AM, et al. Preleukemic granulocytic sarcomas of the gastrointestinal tract. Report of two cases. Am J Clin Pathol 1977; 68(5): 616–621
- Ferry JA, Srigley JR, Young RH. Granulocytic sarcoma of the testis: a report of two cases of a neoplasm prone to misinterpretation. Mod Pathol 1997; 10: 320–325.
- Bakst RL, Tallman MS, Douer D, et al. How I treat extramedullary acute myeloid leukemia. Blood 2011; 118: 3785-3793.
- Chen J, Yanuck R, Abbondanzo S et al. c-Kit (CD117) Reactivity in Extramedullary Myeloid Tumor/Granulocytic Sarcoma. Archives of Pathology and Laboratory Medicine 2001; 125; 1448-1452.
- Pui MH, Fletcher BD, Langston JW. Granulocytic sarcoma in childhood leukemia: imaging features. Radiology 1994; 190: 698-702
- Antic D, Elezovic I, Milic N, et al. Is there a ‘‘gold’’ standard treatment for patients with isolated myeloid sarcoma? Biomed Pharmacot 2013; 67: 72-77.
- Yamauchi K, Yasuda M. Comparison in treatments of nonleukemic granulocytic sarcoma: report of two cases and a review of 72 cases in the literature. Cancer 2002; 94: 1739-1746.
- Avni B, Koren-Michowitz M. Myeloid sarcoma: current approach and therapeutic options. Ther Adv Hematol 2011; 2: 309-316.
- Vedy D., Muehlematter D., Rausch T., Stalder M., Jotterand M., Spertini O. (2010) Acute myeloid leukemia with myeloid sarcoma and eosinophilia: Prolonged remission and molecular response to imatinib. J Clin Oncol 28: e33–e35. [PubMed]
- Piccaluga PP, Martinelli G.Institute of Haematology and Medical Oncology "L. and A. Seràgnoli", S. Orsola-Malpighi Hospital, University of Bologna, Italy. firstname.lastname@example.org Leukemia & Lymphoma [2004, 45(9):1791-1795]
- Ando, Toshihiko; Mitani. Gemtuzumab Ozogamicin Therapy for Isolated Extramedullary AML Relapse after Allogeneic Hematopoietic Stem-Cell Transplantation. Tohoku Journal of Experimental Medicine. Feb2010, Vol. 220 Issue 2, p121-125. 5p. 3
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial 4.0 International License.