Association between the Interleukin-1 Receptor Antagonist (IL1RN) Variable Number of Tandem Repeats (VNTR) Polymorphism and Lymphoma
Introduction: Lymphoma is a common hematopoietic cancer. Immunosuppression is one of the main risk factors for the development of lymphoma. The interleukin (IL)-1 receptor antagonist IL1RN, which binds to the IL-1 receptor, moderates a variety of immune responses related to IL-1. We aimed to assess the impact of IL1RN variable number of tandem repeats (VNTR) polymorphism on lymphoma risk in an Iranian population sample.
Materials and Methods: DNA was extracted from peripheral blood of 120 subjects with non-Hodgkin Lymphoma (NHL), 50 subjects with Hodgkin’s lymphoma (HL), and 186 unrelated healthy individuals. IL1RN VNTR polymorphism was detected using polymerase chain reaction.
Results: Our findings revealed that the IL1RN VNTR polymorphism was associated with protection against NHL (P≤0.001, OR: 0.30, 95% CI: 0.18-0.53). The IL1RN 2 allele significantly decreased the risk of NHL (p = 0.023, OR = 0.66, 95%CI = 0.46–0.93). In addition, we found that IL1RN 1/2 was associated with a lower risk of HL (p ≤0.001, OR = 0.24, 95%CI = 0.12–0.50).
Conclusion: Our results suggest that the presence of IL1RN VNTR polymorphism is associated with a decreased risk of lymphoma in an Iranian subpopulation in southeast Iran.
2. Bray F, Ferlay J, Soerjomataram I, et al. Global cancer statistics 2018: GLOBOCAN estimates of incidence and mortality worldwide for 36 cancers in 185 countries. CA Cancer J Clin. 2018;68(6):394-424.
3. Li G, Li D. Relationship between IL-10 gene polymorphisms and the risk of non-Hodgkin lymphoma: A meta-analysis. Hum Immunol. 2016;77(5):418-425.
4. Ye X, Zhao K, Wu C, et al. Associations between genetic variants in immunoregulatory genes and risk of non-Hodgkin lymphoma in a Chinese population. Oncotarget. 2017;8(6):10450-10457.
5. Zhang T, Xie S, Zhu JH, et al. Association of IL10 -819C>T and -592C>A polymorphisms with non-Hodgkin lymphoma susceptibility: Evidence from published studies. J Cancer. 2015;6(8):709-716.
6. Lim YY, Chin YM, Tai MC, et al. Analysis of interleukin-10 promoter single nucleotide polymorphisms and risk of non-Hodgkin lymphoma in a Malaysian population. Leuk Lymphoma. 2015;56(1):163-168.
7. Zuo X, Li M, Yang Y, et al. Interleukin gene polymorphisms in Chinese Han population with breast cancer, a case-control study. Oncotarget. 2018;9(26):17994-18001.
8. Patterson D, Jones C, Hart I, et al. The human interleukin-1 receptor antagonist (IL1RN) gene is located in the chromosome 2q14 region. Genomics. 1993;15(1):173-176.
9. Hashemi M, Naderi M, Ebrahimi M, et al. Association between Interleukin-1 Receptor Antagonist (IL1RN) Variable Number of Tandem Repeats (VNTR) Polymorphism and Pulmonary Tuberculosis. Iran J Allergy Asthma Immunol. 2015;14(1):55-59.
10. Ma L, Zhou N. Association between an insertion/deletion polymorphism in IL-1A gene and cancer risk: a meta-analysis. Onco Targets Ther. 2015;9:1-6.
11. Wang T, Feng Y, Zhao Z, et al. IL1RN Polymorphisms Are Associated with a Decreased Risk of Esophageal Cancer Susceptibility in a Chinese Population. Chemotherapy. 2019;64(1):28-35.
12. Hashemi M, Bahari G, Sarhadi S, et al. 4-bp insertion/deletion (rs3783553) polymorphism within the 3'UTR of IL1A contributes to the risk of prostate cancer in a sample of Iranian population. J Cell Biochem. 2018;119(3):2627-2635.
13. Yigit M, Degirmencioglu S, Ugurlu E, et al. Effect of serum interleukin-1 receptor antagonist level on survival of patients with non-small cell lung cancer. Mol Clin Oncol. 2017;6(5):708-712.
14. Niedzwiecki S, Stepien T, Kuzdak K, Stepien H, Krupinski R, Seehofer D, et al. Serum levels of interleukin-1 receptor antagonist (IL-1ra) in thyroid cancer patients. Langenbecks Arch Surg. 2008;393(3):275-280.
15. Wu S, Hu G, Chen J, et al. Interleukin 1beta and interleukin 1 receptor antagonist gene polymorphisms and cervical cancer: a meta-analysis. Int J Gynecol Cancer. 2014;24(6):984-990.
16. Seno H, Satoh K, Tsuji S, et al. Novel interleukin-4 and interleukin-1 receptor antagonist gene variations associated with non-cardia gastric cancer in Japan: comprehensive analysis of 207 polymorphisms of 11 cytokine genes. J Gastroenterol Hepatol. 2007;22(5):729-737.
17. Camargo MC, Mera R, Correa P, et al. Interleukin-1beta and interleukin-1 receptor antagonist gene polymorphisms and gastric cancer: a meta-analysis. Cancer Epidemiol Biomarkers Prev . 2006 Sep;15(9):1674-87
18. Lee KM, Park SK, Hamajima N, et al. Genetic polymorphisms of interleukin-1 beta (IL-1B) and IL-1 receptor antagonist (IL-1RN) and breast cancer risk in Korean women. Breast Cancer Res Treat. 2006;96(2):197-202.
19. Hu Z, Shao M, Chen Y, et al. Allele 2 of the interleukin-1 receptor antagonist gene (IL1RN*2) is associated with a decreased risk of primary lung cancer. Cancer Lett. 2006;236(2):269-275.
20. Ibrahimi M, Moossavi M, Mojarad EN, et al. Positive correlation between interleukin-1 receptor antagonist gene 86bp VNTR polymorphism and colorectal cancer susceptibility: a case-control study. Immunol Res. 2019;67(1):151-156.
21. Tak KH, Yu GI, Lee MY, et al. Association between polymorphisms of interleukin 1 family genes and hepatocellular carcinoma. Med Sci Monit . 2018;24:3488-3495.
22. Hosgood 3rd HD, Purdue MP, Wang SS, et al. A pooled analysis of three studies evaluating genetic variation in innate immunity genes and non-Hodgkin lymphoma risk. Br J Haematol. 2011;152(6):721-6.
23. Sousa H, Santos AM, Catarino R, et al. IL-1RN VNTR polymorphism and genetic susceptibility to cervical cancer in Portugal. Mol Biol Rep. 2012;39(12):10837-10842.
24. Hashemi M, Tabasi F, Bahari G, et al. An updated meta-analysis on the association between 4-bp insertion/deletion (rs3783553) polymorphism within the 3`UTR of IL1A and the risk of cancer. Gene Reports. 2018;12:99-104.
|Issue||Vol 15 No 2 (2021)|
|Interleukin-1 receptor antagonist; Variable number of tandem repeats (VNTR); Polymorphism; Lymphoma|
|Rights and permissions|
|This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial 4.0 International License.|