COVID-19 and Thrombotic Thrombocytopenic Purpura: A Case Report
Endothelial injury by toxins, drugs, immune complexes leads to activation of coagulation cascade and thrombosis, which result in platelet consumption and red blood cell injury. These thrombotic microangiopathies can potentially injure numerous organs and result in organ dysfunction. In this case, we present the fourth reported patient with thrombotic thrombocytopenic purpura associated with COVID-19.
2. Chan JF, Yuan S, Kok KH, et al. A familial cluster of pneumonia associated with the 2019 novel coronavirus indicating person-to-person transmission: a study of a family cluster. Lancet. 2020; 395(10223):514-523.
3. Chen R, Liang W, Jiang M, et al. Medical Treatment Expert Group for COVID-19. Risk factors of fatal futcome in hospitalized subjects with coronavirus disease 2019 from a nationwide analysis in China. Chest. 2020; 158(1):97-105.
4. George JN, Nester CM, McIntosh JJ. Syndromes of thrombotic microangiopathy associated with pregnancy. Hematology Am Soc Hematol Educ Program. 2015; 2015:644-8.
5. Fakhouri F, Vercel C, Frémeaux-Bacchi V. Obstetric nephrology: AKI and thrombotic microangiopathies in pregnancy. Clin J Am Soc Nephrol. 2012; 7(12):2100-6.
6. Guan WJ, Ni ZY, Hu Y, et al. China Medical Treatment Expert Group for Covid-19. Clinical Characteristics of Coronavirus Disease 2019 in China. N Engl J Med. 2020; 382(18):1708-1720.
7. Albiol N, Awol R, Martino R. Autoimmune thrombotic thrombocytopenic purpura (TTP) associated with COVID-19. Ann Hematol. 2020; 99(7):1673-1674.
8. Hindilerden F, Yonal-Hindilerden I, Akar E, et al. Covid-19 associated autoimmune thrombotic thrombocytopenic purpura: Report of a case. Thromb Res.2020; 195:136-138.
|Issue||Vol 15 No 1 (2021)|
|Covid-19; Thrombotic Thrombocytopenic Purpura (TTP); Plasma exchange|
|Rights and permissions|
|This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial 4.0 International License.|